Friday, September 30, 2011

Jesus is Tempted

Mark 1:12-13 (ESV) The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. [13] And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him. I have only ever seen snippets of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds”. However, every time I read this in Mark, I think of the movie, and picture a dove, or as the Greek has it, pigeon,(they are the same species) dive bombing Jesus, as he runs for cover off into the wilderness. Marks gospel is kind of crazy. Everything happens immediately. And very little is elaborated on. This is the extent of Mark’s narration of the forty days. He was tempted. He lived with wild animals. Angels ministered to him. Nothing about the temptations, just, he was tempted. I suppose that is enough. He was tempted. We are tempted. He is like us. Satan wanted his soul. He over came that. Wouldn’t it be nice if you and I did too.

No comments: