Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Walking as He Walked.

1 John 2:3-6 (ESV)
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. [4] Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, [5] but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him: [6] whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
I read verses like the above and they send me into deep introspection. I start gazing at my navel with the intensity of a love struck boy staring at his first crush. I begin to wonder how well I have kept his commandments. The fact is I am sure I have not. Not even to my own liking, much less his. I have to fall back on that propitiation bit that was posted yesterday.
“Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” Christians will find themselves sinning. They just will. But then we will also desire to walk in the same way in which he walked. How did he walk? In love, he walked in love. And love does not desire to keep living the same old same old. Love works on our consciences, exposes our sins, and bids us to forgive others as we have been forgiven.

No comments: