Monday, March 30, 2015

MY God My God Why Have You Forsaken Me

34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15: 34 (ESV)

Jesus cites the psalm, the entire thing with these words, the way we bring to memory an entire song by referencing the first verse or perhaps the chorus line. Why have you forsaken me? Jesus feels the full weight of the world’s sin now, your sin and my sin, the sin by  which we forsake ourselves in the face of God. The sins that leave us cold and sore in the conscience, the weakness with which we give into greed, envy, and anger, the tempers that flair, the lusts that incite, the impatience with which we forsake God and his commandments to get what we want now. Yes, these and more are the reason God has now forsaken him who hangs on a tree, that though our sins may continue to forsake us, God would forsake his Son and hand him over to death, that he no longer would forsake you, no longer forsake me. 

No comments: