Friday, November 2, 2012

Thankfulness

Luke 11:3 (ESV)
Give us each day our daily bread,
I think about the 9th and 10th commandments when I pray this. I desire many things. I covet many things. What I don’t covet enough is the ability to be content with what I have. And that is a shame, because I have so much. And the best things I have, I am too often rather ungrateful for them.
Some days I contemplate this. I’ll be in a rather deep funk. Antsy perhaps. I’m often not sure what to do with myself, you see. I’m often wanting to do something different than what I am. I baffle myself. So don’t be alarmed if I baffle you. I was given a wanderlust as I was growing up. Incurable, it is in my bones. Sometimes I think my life has been a complete waste. I could not tell you why I think that. I can only say it is a profound ungratefulness. I know this.
I have lived one of the most charmed lives a person could imagine. Most of this I only now realize in hindsight. The things I have experienced in life are incredible. I told a friend the other day, it’s like I have good luck when ever bad luck strikes. I roll my jeep walk away, and find myself better off in a week. Plus I get to brag that I walked away from a roll over. My entire life is that way. When knocked down, it seems I get up stronger.
I have been given so many opportunities for world travel, I find it almost incomprehensible. I travelled more by the time I was 8 then most people do their entire lives. And the places I have lived have gone to show me, that God is a gracious God. But then I get agitated than I haven’t travelled more, that I seem to be stuck. And I wonder why, because this morning I went Chukar hunting in my back yard, and plan to do so again Thursday.
I have no doubt my daily bread will come. I just pray I might be more thankful for it, and gracious for it. that is the nice thing about being Christian, you have someone to thank for all the wonderful gifts in life.

No comments: