Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Your Cross

Luke 9:23-27 (ESV)
And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. [24] For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. [25] For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? [26] For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. [27] But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."
Jesus is the cross. Jesus is your cross. “For whoever is ashamed of men and my words.” This isn’t about giving up food or drink. This isn’t about tidying up your language and cussing like Ramon Moroni rather than Dennis Leary. Your cross isn’t about any of that. It is about this, the world killed your lord and savior, the world will hound you to death for believing him. They will laugh at you for being naïve. They will kill you for what you believe. They will malign you. This will be your cross, that you believe Jesus died for your sins. This will be your cross, that you believe Jesus died for their sins. Jesus has forgiven you, and so you will have the audacity to forgive them. Go ahead do it and watch. Forgive them. Tell them, I forgive you. Watch how fast the self righteous SOBs turn on you. No one hates forgiveness more than a person who thinks they don’t need it. And for this, you will be crucified.

No comments: