Friday, October 5, 2012

All that Matters

Luke 9:46-48 (ESV)
An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest. [47] But Jesus, knowing the reasoning of their hearts, took a child and put him by his side [48] and said to them, "Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For he who is least among you all is the one who is great."
For he who is least among you all is the one who is great. We all want to be great. Well I do. I imagine everyone else is like me. We want to be noticed. We want to be respected. We want to be remembered. This is to be human.
Jesus has a different way of determining who is great. The one who is humble enough to serve. This is a foreign concept in his day. A man who served, who voluntarily humbled himself, set himself up for derision. It was not considered great to serve, but to be served. You didn’t give children attention, they were weak, small and they served. Sometimes I think society could use a bit of a return to that. But that is another story. Here Jesus sets it up. Finally he is the great one, because he serves, he humbles himself to die, he serves us with forgiveness.
We are forgiven in Christ, from the least to the greatest among us, and that forgiveness alone is all that matters.

No comments: