Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Seeing is Believing

Mark 16:12-13 (ESV)
After these things he appeared in another form to two of them, as they were walking into the country. [13] And they went back and told the rest, but they did not believe them.

Thick headed these disciples, they won’t believe just because they have heard. It used to be said, seeing is believeing. Today I always hear that it is not seeing that is believing. I hate that. People say if you offer up evidence it is not longer faith. If you believe based on evidence then it is not faith. Faith, according to some, is making something true by believing it is true, despite evidence either way. Sorry I don’t have time for such existential nonsense. It isn’t that I hold a grudge against those who just believe without questioning. Although, I remember my son at 2 years asking some pretty skeptical sounding questions. So the idea that an adult hears and believes without questioning at all makes me scratch my head. And when they require others to turn off their thinking cap like they have when it comes to Jesus, I really get tired. I wish they’d open up an apologetics text or two and find some answers. “You just have to believe” is rather a lazy way out. The disciples did end up believing didn’t they? Was it not faith because they saw? Of course it was faith. Seeing is in the end believing.

No comments: