Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Need a Break

Mark 6:21-32 (ESV) But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his nobles and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee. [22] For when Herodias's daughter came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests. And the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it to you." [23] And he vowed to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, up to half of my kingdom." [24] And she went out and said to her mother, "For what should I ask?" And she said, "The head of John the Baptist." [25] And she came in immediately with haste to the king and asked, saying, "I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter." [26] And the king was exceedingly sorry, but because of his oaths and his guests he did not want to break his word to her. [27] And immediately the king sent an executioner with orders to bring John's head. He went and beheaded him in the prison [28] and brought his head on a platter and gave it to the girl, and the girl gave it to her mother. [29] When his disciples heard of it, they came and took his body and laid it in a tomb. [30] The apostles returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught. [31] And he said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while." For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. [32] And they went away in the boat to a desolate place by themselves. “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going and they had no leisure even to eat.” Perhaps, I just need a vacation and so I am grabbed by this. But I don’t know that I need just any vacation. I’m contemplating symposia right now, the one at Ft. Wayne. They normally have good speakers, good content. That’s fine. I’ve only been twice since becoming a pastor. The thing I like about it, what always begs me to return is camaraderie. Old friends, new friends sharing war stories over a beer. I think I could use that right now. I think that is what Jesus is getting at here. It is a bit of advice. Sometimes there are just traumatic events in a person’s life. Here the disciples of John had to be at an all time low. People are still pressing them from all sides, as they are just trying to figure out what happened. They need sometime to regroup, sort it through, figure out what to do next. They had to get some rest, take care of their own souls, mourn, grieve, process. There doesn’t necessarily have to be a traumatic event for this to be needed. Sometimes, you just need a break from the daily grind. Perhaps it’s just the stack up. And sometimes this requires going away. It isn’t something that can be done close to home, or even at home. Staycations are not vacations.

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

Go. Recharge the batteries. Have some fun.

It'll do you a world of good.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bror.

I'm headed out the door to the salt mine. I need to take your advice and get away myself.