Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Out of His Mind

Mark 3:20-21 (ESV) Then he went home, and the crowd gathered again, so that they could not even eat. [21] And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, "He is out of his mind." He is out of his mind. I marvel at this. Other gospels record that Mary herself was there. They really did think he was crazy. He drew so much attention. It was crazy in those days to do that. But this isn’t them thinking he was just being foolish. They had heard what he had been doing, and really felt he was certifiable. They waited outside the crowd. Jesus actually rebuked them. I guess I marvel, because mary should have known better. But then mom’s are forgetful… well mine can be anyway. You would think she would remember all the circumstances of his birth. It I were to argue against the virgin Birth, this verse would play a central role. I’ve never seen one argue against the virgin birth from this verse. Most arguments I’ve read are just incoherent meanderings. It does bring to mind though C.S. Lewis, who leaves one with two choices regarding Jesus in “Mere Christianity.” One can say he is God or write him off as crazy all other options are closed. Jesus family tried to take the crazy option. Tell me you wouldn’t if Jesus was your brother. “See mom, I told you! You always wanted me to be like Jesus, he was always the good one. Well, what do you think of him now? Huh? Huh?” I mean Jesus as your older brother left some big shoes to fill. But in the end, the family changes its mind. Later, his brother James would become a bishop, and an ardent follower of jesus. Euebius records his family lineage living for quite some time, and mostly in poverty in Palestine, but proudly acknowledging their uncle who reigned at the right hand of God.

No comments: