Friday, December 10, 2010

Random Dude Walks into my Office

So I guess I’m supposed to feel guilty. A random dude with a skateboard and gym suit comes by looking for help as I’m about to leave the office. Says he is homeless and without work. I ask him what happened. The guy says he moved up here from San Diego because he missed the winter, and wanted to snowboard. He wanted to work at a resort. So he moved in with a “friend.” Which friend kicked him out two weeks before Christmas. So he wants me to help, though he has turned down the homeless shelter because he is better than that. And he has no plan. I try to help him with that.
“Do you have parents?” I ask.
“yeah, but I don’t think I can ask them for much.”
(“But you can ask me, even though you turn down what help we have already offered through the food bank and homeless shelters, because that is for people lesser than you?” I think to myself.)
“Can you ask them for a bus ticket?”
“Well probably.”
“Then that would be my plan. Forget about snowboarding, forget about living up around here. Move back where you have a place to stay while you find a job.”
“Wow! Thank you good Christian Brother,” he says sarcastically.
“You’re welcome.”
I mean it is amazing. Somehow this guy thinks I’m less than Christian for not setting him up in the Hyatt, and giving him money for food. For asking him to exhaust his efforts elsewhere, like family, before he goes panhandling churches. He is capable enough of work, I’m sure. Well, by the time I’m done talking to the guy I’d rather give five bucks to a drunk that wants to buy whiskey and is honest about it.

4 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Um, would you be willing to put me up in a hotel tonight, too? Maybe I can give you a date and a city, and you can just get me a room. That would be great. Thanks =o)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve Martin said...

I think your advice to the little leach was spot on!

I could use a room at the Montage in Laguna Beach. It's a beautiful place, and well, the wife and I cannot afford it.

Thanks, Bror! I'll be checking the mail box for the check!

Rev. Myles R Schultz said...

Could you send me 5 bucks so I can buy some wiskey?