Friday, April 23, 2010

A New Heavens and a New Earth.

2 Peter 3:11-13 (ESV)
Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, [12] waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! [13] But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

A new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells, a recreation of creation, that is what we wait for. God is an abundant creator. People ask why he created the world. I don’t know the answer to that. I know he did, and that is probably enough. But from the fact that he did, one might deduce that he creates because it is in his nature, something he loves to do. You see this world and all its glory, you see all the wonders of this fallen world. Even a volcano in Iceland turns out to be something spectacular. Even with an instrument of destruction he creates. And so when he destroys this earth, he creates a new one, because he created us originally to be co-creators, gardeners, zoo keepers in his garden. And there is so much so spectacular in this world. I mean get out to see it sometime!
I live in a desert. I grew up among trees and lakes. Well let’s just say, I have had a rich life so far, and every day it seems to get richer as I learn to enjoy the life and gifts God has given me. I have been able to see and enjoy so much of this world. I am fascinated by it. I love the desert, and the desert mountains in which I live. They are like geodes. You look at them from either side, rough jagged hills, rocky and barren, and then you journey into them and they open up, trees jutting up like crystals, and colors exposing themselves to the light of day. It is such a wonderful earth that we live in now, and so little time to explore it and take it all in.
But God creates a new heaven and a new earth, and we live there in eternity, what joys await us there? I can’t wait to find out.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Me either! I can't wait for the flowers! We get only a small preview each spring!

Steve Martin said...

I wouldn't say that your garden is a small preview, Nancy!

I've seen your garden (photos) and it's the closest thing to Heaven on earth!

Thanks for the encouragement, Bror!

I can't wait, neither!