Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sin, I hate it.

James 4:4-10 (ESV)
You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. [5] Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us"? [6] But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." [7] Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. [9] Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. [10] Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.” That is a novel thought today. Perhaps it is just the area where I live right now. Humility doesn’t seem to be much of a virtue in the world. These days it don’t seem to be much of a virtue in the church either. Well it is a virtue. It is a virtue that we ought to be practicing. What have we to be proud about before God? Anything? Yet to admit guilt, sin, etc. Well that seems to be shunned more and more. Now days people think nothing of people strutting around acting as if they have managed the Christian walk. It more often than not makes me want to throw up. It is the same when I see it happening to me, when I see myself getting a little too proud. Sin, I hate it. And that is what makes the world go round. It’s tough being in the world, but not of it. you can hate sin all you want, but avoiding it is another matter all together. That is why we need Christ. That is why we need forgiveness. Not just for some sins, but all of them. Confess your sins, and God will draw near with forgiveness.

2 comments:

Steve Martin said...

I hate it too.

But I'm adddicted to it.

Like a junkie, I know it's killing me (not to mention what it's doing to those around me), but I go back for more.

Bror Erickson said...

Isn't that the truth.