Monday, December 14, 2009

Skins whiter?

“O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought before the throne of God.” (Jacob 3:8)
I mean this is just silly. I dare say there will be many people with much darker skin than Joseph Smith’s walking into the presence of God on the last day. And the color of their skin will no more be a tell concerning their sin than it is today, which is to say it won’t be one at all. I’m a Swede and am offended by this B.S. which is about the only word appropriate for its description. It will not be our skin, but the robes washed white in the blood of the lamb, that will be the determining factor in salvation. “I said to him, "Sir, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” (Rev. 7:14 (ESV)

4 comments:

Frank Sonnek said...

so u are not buyin that 'whitesome and delightsome' stuff in the book of mormon eh?

Jonathan said...

Isn't the current Momo exegesis on this that it was not referring to melanine skin tone, but to surface dirt or grime?

OK, so maybe Joe Smith wasn't making a racist slur. But, is repentence by really all that's needed to take away the dirt? I mean, I can repent and lament all my sins, but I still feel the weight of them ("Out, out, damn spot!") Aren't they still missing the spiritual Tide?

Bror Erickson said...

Jonathan,
Did the Mormons learn how to use the word exegesis? Because that definitely would not be a proper use of exegesis. I think the word you are wanting here is current Mormon eisegesis. (Reading into a text a particular interpretation that you like.)

Jonathan said...

Yup--my point exactly. If they had proper exegetes, they would all abandon their folly.