Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Praying for the witness of others.

Philemon 1:1-7 (ESV)
Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,
To Philemon our beloved fellow worker [2] and Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house:
[3] Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
[4] I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers, [5] because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints, [6] and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ. [7] For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.

“And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.” Prayer and sharing the faith, they go hand in hand. Paul prays for others that sharing their faith might be effective. I think we can take something from that and learn from it. Prayer is a wonderful gift that God has given us. I encourage those Christians I know to pray, and pray often. One practice in prayer is to keep a list of those who have come into your life, and pray for them that they would come to faith as you witness to them. We might also pray for the witness of others. This is one area that I at least could learn from. We are all one body. Not all of us have the same gifts, but we all have the gift of prayer, going to the father on behalf of ourselves, and others. Evangelism is never an easy thing. There is a lot of fear among people when they want to share their faith. I often pray that my own sharing of the faith might be effective. I think I am going to start praying for others in this regard too. Especially for those I know who are gifted where evangelism is concerned, and those who are trying. Prayer is a powerful tool. It is good to make use of it.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

As Christians in a microwave society we so often forget to be persistent in prayer, when our prayers don't seem to have the instantaneous results we would desire...When you have been a Christian for an extended length of time is when you begin to "get it", as you see the results of much prayer begin to materialize before your eyes. My prayer for each of us is that we continue in prayer so that we will see and reap the harvest promised!