Friday, August 28, 2009

Love His Appearing

2 Tim. 4:6-8 (ESV)
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. [7] I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. [8] Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
Hence forth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. Paul sees his own end near. He says he has kept the faith. So close to the finish line, he considers the race run, just a few more paces, and perhaps even a mere collapse over the finish line. He isn’t afraid of losing the faith now, before his end. God has kept him faithful thus far, so will he to the end. Then he will be given the crown of righteousness. And why? Because Paul explains, he gives it to all who have loved his appearing.
Loved his appearing. I know of no one to whom Jesus has appeared personally, that is still alive. But this is what a Christian does, He loves Christ’s appearing. We have records of that momentous event, the day that God stepped into this world, born of a virgin in a cattle stall, so that bearing our flesh he might die in our place. What is there not to love? It is a great thing is it not? We love his appearing, not because he gave us law, easier or stricter, but because thereby he gave us forgiveness. He gave us forgiveness that was only possible if he appeared in this world, where he could die for our sins. This he did, and therefore we love his appearing.

1 comment:

Brigitte said...

I've thought about the phrase "loved his appearing" all morning while doing my stuff.

It really packs a lot of things in three words, one the fact that everything is Christ-centered; also that it is He we are waiting for first of all, with him our salvation, all via being in expectation of it, which is faith.