Wednesday, July 29, 2009

As My Ancestors Did

2 Tim. 1:3-5 (ESV)
I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. [4] As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. [5] I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.
I thank God whom I serve, “as did my ancestors.” It is often forgotten that the New Testament was written by Jews. It is not an anti-Semitic text book, as many make it out to be. Christians rightly despise anti-semitism it is not in line with the teachings of Christ, who was also a Jew. However, the millennialist teachings concerning Israel, and those that offer salvation for Jews outside of Christ are also wrong. There is salvation for Jews, as with everyone else in Jesus Christ alone. Paul serves Jesus, who is in fact the same God as that of his ancestors. That is what Christians believe. This is why Deuteronomy 6:4 can be considered the first Christian Creed. The Jews of the Old Testament were Christians, in that the God they believed in revealed himself in Jesus Christ, and fulfilled the law for them. This being the case the Old Testament has a lot to teach us about the meaning of the new. It is a shame that it does not get more attention in preaching, or study.

No comments: