Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Black is Beautiful

2 Nephi 5:21
“And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like flint; wherefore as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.”
This is downright blasphemous! It makes me sick to my stomach to think people attribute racism such as this to God. Verses like this give me understanding when I see ex Mormons that want nothing whatsoever to do with God. Like it or not this is the demon they deal with. I wouldn’t want to believe in a God that way.
Neither does the passage makes sense. It would have you believe that to be black is to be ugly. It is not.
The other day, I had the pleasure of taking part in a Sudanese service. This is after I had originally written this post. I don't know that I have ever encountered a community with that much beauty. Their was one boy about 2 it looked. His mom couldn't keep him contained in the pew. Cutest toddler I have seen in a long time. The joy in their faces, and singing also did much to dispel the myth that beauty is only skin deep.

No comments: