Monday, June 9, 2008

To Live With Christ, My New Translation of Bo Giertz


Many people in the English speaking world know Bo Giertz for his phenomenal book “The Hammer of God” and though other books of his have been translated into English they know little else of him. In fact last month I had to send quite a bit of material to my friend Bishop Tswaedi of South Africa, who was asked to do a paper on Bo Giertz. He contacted me astonished that so little was known about the man. It is a great shame that so little is known about him in the English speaking world. In a century where the title bishop has been so badly abused by men like Spong, Hammar, Pike, etc. Bo Giertz remained faithful to his Lord, Jesus Christ. He stood for what he knew to be right, he remained a confessional Lutheran, standing on the Bible and the Lutheran Confessions, opposed to the ordination of women, in the face of huge opposition and persecution. Yet first and foremost he always remained a pastor, an under shepherd of Christ. His heart was for serving the people of God, who had been entrusted to them. He relished feeding them the pure Gospel. So he never quit writing. In Swedish, he has over 600 titles, of which only a handful have ever been translated and published. I happen to know, though, that the Society of St. Eric has much more translated that yet remains unpublished. I am currently 8 pages from finishing my rough draft to the “Knights of Rhodes,” his third and last novel. Hopefully, it will be published in the next year of so. Until then you can drink from the fount of his pastoral pen by reading by buying a copy of “To Live with Christ.” These devotions are solid food for the soul, no spiritual mush, but solid doctrine applied to the life of faith. Order here: To Live with Christ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bror,

I am looking forward to getting the book.

Thanks for the heads-up and the work you did in translating it for our edification.

The link to order it didn't work for me.

- Steve M.

Bror Erickson said...

Thanks,
I think I got it fixed
Bror

Unknown said...

Yes, thanks Bror. I look forward to reading more from Bishop Giertz. By the way, something I've been thinking about lately and perhaps Giertz has some insight here? What about bishops? Did Giertz ever write about church polity or give any critique or commentary on Congregational/representative or his own church body's polity?

Bror Erickson said...

Bryan,
Of course, He himself being a bishop was not opposed to the episcopy, he even had a very strong claim to Apostolic Succession. I can't remember off hand what all he wrote concerning polity in the church. I do know that he found such things to be adiaphora, or at best a far distant concern in comparison to what the church teaches concerning Christ, the Lord's Supper, and Baptism.

Anonymous said...

Bror,

I tried to order the book, but there was a problem with the shipping charges so I didn't go though with the transaction. I'll call Concordia Publishing and see if I can get it straightened out.

If you don't mind I'd like to put up a post about the book after my current post.

Thanks Bror.

- Steve

Bror Erickson said...

Won't mind at all Steve, Think it is a great idea actually.
your brother in Christ,
Bror